Saturday, December 17, 2011

Home for the holidays...


Happy Saturday pretties and to those of you in retail you know this weekend is going to be worse than Black Friday, so I feel your pain. It snowed last night so the world is finally dressed in white for Christmas, now we just have to keep our fingers crossed it stays that way until the 25th! The hardest part about the holidays is not letting the stress of the parties, shopping, work, etc get to you before it's all over. There is nothing fashionable or pretty about a girl with bags under her eyes, maniac attitude, and sloppy outfits due to lack of planning. Here are some tips to get it together in the next week to enjoy yourself and everyone else for the most wonderful* time of the year!

Do something for yourself. Whether it be as simple as a relaxing bath or getting a hour long massage at your favorite salon anything that you feel will de-stress you is worth the time so that you are in a good mood. I thoroughly enjoy driving around looking at the Christmas lights whilst listening to Christmas music at night or turning on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and pouring a glass of wine. If you go home for Christmas do something that you enjoyed when you were a kid like sledding or ice skating (you can do this in your town too obviously) because when you're home you get bogged down with all the people you have* to see while you're there. Do something you enjoy whether it be alone or with a few of your favorite people.

Work out. No, shopping does not count as a work out but you can count it as the cardio you do before lifting weights, yoga, or pilates. It's a fact that working out puts you in a better mood and we all know how most people eat this time of the year. Prevent the depression that sets in after the holidays for the small amount of weight that was gained from all the eating and drinking. I am not a huge work out buff, I generally hate it but I know how bad I can feel about myself on December 26th when I see the food baby that has been growing in my stomach. Even if it's once or twice a week the extra activity will boost your mood and your energy to get through. Plus, it's head start on that standard New Year's Resolution to lose weight.

Be prepared. I don't mean as far as gifts or parties but the people you're going to be spending time with. Be honest with yourself about your friends and relatives so you don't get irritated so quickly with them. For example, if you have a friend that is always* late be prepared to wait or allow yourself that extra time to get ready or get something else done whilst you wait. If you have an aunt or an uncle who tends to drink too much, tell them you've taken care of their favorite drink and only buy a small amount of it so they don't drink too quickly or too much. If your grandfather harasses every boy you bring home fill in your boyfriend ahead of time and be prepared to change the subject so that awkward situation can be avoided. Dealing with family and friends over the holidays can be the catalyst to all the stress but if you're honest about who you're spending time with it won't be so bad.

Dress to impress. My favorite time of the year to dress extravagantly and make a minor spectacle of myself! Pull a few options out a week in advance (so like today for example, I do it months in advance) so when the day rolls around you have already thought about it then choose according to your mood and activities. Christmas Eve is the night I usually go all out and dress to the nines, I mean we're celebrating Jesus' birthday for Pete's sake! When you feel pretty you have a confidence about you that is hard to shake which in turn allows stress to roll off your back. Or if you prefer to be comfortable, dress comfortably so you're not futzing with your clothes all night. I save the comfy outfit for Christmas day so I can lay around all day and be lazy- the phrase "Eat, Drink, and be Merry" comes to mind.

This is the dress I'm wearing for Christmas Eve with opaque tights and black booties

This is the detail of the pattern on the dress
(Proenza Schouler for Target no longer available)

I usually try to wear the colors of the season but something about this purple silk felt festive to me this year! Plus, I think I've only worn this dress once so it needs a little action (and it's a size 1 so it makes me feel awesome that I can still fit in it). 

I hope everyone enjoys their holiday season, it'll be gone before we know it!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment