Monday, July 25, 2011

Style Anyone?

Ok so Monday is almost over and I slacked major this weekend posting anything but I wanted to post about this before the day was done. So I absolutely love books not Kindles or Nooks with books loaded onto them but actual books they look better stacked on a coffee table or book shelf; but that's besides the point. There are three style books that I think are worth investing in.

 The first is Who What Where by Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power, these two women founded the website whowhatwear.com which is also great for outfit ideas and trend alerts. The book takes celebrity and runway style and shows us how to translate that into real life. This is one of the biggest challenges when interpreting runway looks because they are meant to be viewed as art but are not practical for running to the grocery store. With chapters that help you learn to shop vintage, clean out your closet, decide which beauty products are worth splurging and which are not, and how to choose which trend is right for you this book is a good guide for creating your signature look.

My second book I love is What to Wear, Where, also by Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power, Hillary was an Associate Editor at Elle and has written for Teen Vogue, Maxim, and Nylon while Katherine Power was formerly the West Coast Editor of Elle and Ellegirl; in case you were wondering why you should listen to what these women have to say. This book is the perfect book if you're always wondering what to wear and if what you've got on is appropriate for a specific occasion. The chapters go in alphabetical order by occasion with examples of what each girl would wear to the occasion, a few other appropriate options, and what to stay away from. The great thing about this book is even if your style isn't exactly that of Hillary or Katherine's it gives you the silhouettes or basic shell of the appropriate outfit and let the details be your own. It has seriously been a life saver for me a couple of times.

The third book I wanted to talk about is Style by Lauren Conrad. So Ms. Conrad is one of my favorite celebrities and I adore her style so it was only natural I would acquire her Style book. I will warn you if you're not a fan of Lauren you may not like this book but I absolutely love it. It combines fashion, beauty, and lifestyle to help the reader create a style that transcends clothes (one of the last things Lauren leaves you with is the importance of writing thank you notes to people who have done something for you). My favorite part about this book is editing and organizing your closet to make it easier to "shop". I forget things I can't see so I am constantly going through my closet and getting rid of what I don't wear anymore so I can see what I have. Style is a good read for those getting their own personal look together but still want to be timeless and comfortable.




Happy reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment